Director of Tourism – Morro Bay, CaliforniaThe mission of the Morro Bay Tourism Bureau includes creating sustainable, diversified, leisure and business travel destination demand for Morro Bay, California.
Join us in helping to instill the wonder of “Discover your better nature” among all of our leisure, regional, business travelers and our strategic business partners. MBTB places a high priority on employing qualified and experienced leaders and members with the demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities to helping us achieve our overall marketing mission and objectives. Base salary for position is $65,000 – $80,000 plus benefits and incentives to be determined.
Creative, dynamic, qualified applicants will possess the following abilities and experience:
• A Bachelor Degree in Tourism – Marketing – Hospitality or another related field or equivalent
• 5 years of work experience in tourism related field
• Ability to manage marketing, sales and advertising campaigns
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to speak in public
• Lead workforce team
• Knowledge to direct web site management, mobile device, and on line marketing,
• Skills to direct social media campaigns
• Manage, create and present a budget
• Focus destination marketing efforts/Regional marketing efforts
• Build and sustain a team for success
More information and a job description is available at: Morrobay.org/career
You may mail your information to:
Morro Bay Tourism Bureau
C/O City of Morro Bay
850 Shasta Avenue
Morro Bay, CA 93442
Attn: Board of Directors
You may e-mail your resume and qualifications information to: MBTBDOTjob@gmail.com
Resumes will be accepted from November 22, 2013 to December 23, 2013 at 5:00PM, PST
The Morro Bay Tourism Bureau is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
DIRECTOR OF TOURISM – Morro Bay Tourism Bureau
Oversees and works with the Advertising firm, Stakeholders, Fulfillment team, and Tourism Bureau Board, for tourism growth, brand development, and sales strategy.
Leads and participates in sales/marketing and fulfillment meetings. Participates in efforts to secure business for Morro Bay Tourism Industry. Leads tourism economic development efforts. This person reports to Morro Bay Bureau of Tourism (MBTB), a nonprofit organization. Annual goal for growth in tourism is 5% measured by Occupancy levels.
Develops and Administers Morro Bay Visitor’s Center.
Responsible for the development of the annual budgets and prepares monthly forecast reports and goals.
Develops team building/partnerships opportunities.
Adheres to MBTB Mission Statement:
The Mission of the Morro Bay Tourism Bureau is to promote and increase tourism in the City of Morro Bay by improving and strengthening the condition of the tourism business environment. The objective shall be accomplished through the development and operation of a tourism improvement district and other marketing, branding and promotional programs and initiative’s.
Morro Bay Tourism Bureau
Job Description – Executive Director
Planning and Development – Research
• Together with the Board of Directors, and stakeholders develop a 3-5 year vision and strategic plan for the Tourism Bureau and update annually
• Develop an annual Comprehensive Marketing Plan and present it to the Board of Directors for approval and updates as needed
• Selectively utilize outside consultants and data to assist in preparing and validating business plans.
• Work with Bureau Finance Committee to develop a forecast based on economic data, market data and Bureau Goals
Operational Planning and Management
• Ensure ALL the operations of the Bureau meet the expectations of the Board of Directors
• Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the “Tourism Bureau Business”
• Review existing Tourism Bureau policies and procedures on an annual basis and make recommendations to the Board of Directors as appropriate
• Review and update Tourism Bureau Operational Calendar and present it to the Board of Directors for approval annually
• Grow strategic partnerships that promote Morro Bay Tourism business growth within the DMO and local communities.
• Assist in the development and incorporation of new events into the Tourism Bureau marketing plan focusing on the off and shoulder seasons
• Originate monthly promotional activities to stimulate tourism growth during off and shoulder seasons
• Director of Tourism shall ensure website optimization, mobile device, on line marketing, and social media are central elements of the marketing plan
• Seek and develop undiscovered markets, research market trends and opportunities
Destination Marketing/Regional Marketing
• Develop distinct Destination Marketing and Media plans working with the Tourism Bureau’s marketing agency, utilizing market research, data and trend analysis for annual approval by the Board of Directors
• Develop distinct Regional Marketing and Media plans working with the Tourism Bureaus Marketing agency, community stakeholders utilizing market research, data and trend analysis for annual approval by the Board of Directors
• Operate an effective and imaginative visitor center
• Provide visitors with an exceptional experience that generates return visits
• Develop effective and meaningful management information reporting
• Develop volunteer staffing program to expand hours during peak tourism season
• Ensure that the Board is kept fully informed on Bureau activities and all important factors influencing the Tourism Bureau
• See that the hotelier stakeholders and City are fully informed of goals, plans and activities of the Bureau
• Work with the Board of Directors to create regularly scheduled Tourism Bureau meeting agenda’s ensuring public notification in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.
• Provide the Board with supporting staff reports and materials for all meetings
• Produce Annual Stakeholder/City Report and meeting in compliance with the City of Morro Bay Tourism Business Improvement District Assessment regulation
• Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with Board of Directors, community groups, organizations, City Council and City Staff
• Act as spokesperson for the Bureau in addition to the Chair of the Board
• Represent the Tourism Bureau at activities to enhance the Tourism Bureau’s profile
Financial Planning and Management
• Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed according to the Tourism Bureau’s Accounting Policy and Procedures
• Work with the Board Finance Committee in developing comprehensive budgets for presentation and approval of the Board of Directors annually with updates as needed
• Provide the Board of Directors with comprehensive, regular reports on revenue and expenditures
• Administer the funds of the Bureau according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the Bureau in compliance with the Accounting Policies and Procedures
• Ensure the Bureau complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments
Human Resources Planning and Management
• Ensure implementation of sound human resources practices utilizing the Tourism Bureau Human Resources Policy and Procedures Manual
• Establish a positive, healthy and safe working environment for all staff in accordance with appropriate legislation and best practices
• Coach and mentor staff to improve performance
Skills and AbilitiesThe individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, using a combination of skills and abilities, to effectively follow the Morro Bay brand:
• Effective communicator, oral and written skills, ability to speak in Public
• Excellent skills and knowledge of personal computers, mobile technology and marketing technology
• Perform critical analysis
• Manage extensive amounts of information and provides constructive feedback/direction.
• Extensive knowledge of Tourism and Tourism related businesses, traditional and internet marketing, social media, public relations and mobile site and web site management
• Properly reflects Morro Bay Brand image in a professional manner
• Manage multiple projects. Meet and work effectively under time and resource constraints.
• Effectively lead team of professionals.