Morro Bay, CA, January 24, 2018 – Romance is in abundance all year long in Morro Bay with amazing sunsets and fresh local oysters always at the ready. But, with Valentine's Day fast approaching and the extended President’s Day weekend right around the corner, the season of love is front and center. So naturally, it’s time to plan your romantic getaway, and if you want to save a few clams, Budget Travel just listed Morro Bay, CA as one of the top 10 world-class places to visit in 2018 that won’t break the bank.
Day 1: Rock the Embarcadero
- Rock your Arrival: When approaching Morro Bay on Highway 1 from the north or south, or aboard ship from the west, the ever stunning Morro Rock sits majestically between the harbor and beach always ready to greet you.
- Lunch on the Bay: Savor the award winning clam chowder at Giovanni’s Fish Market, family owned and operated in Morro Bay for over 25 years. This harbor front patio offers dreamy views of fishing boats bringing in the fresh catch of the day.
- Lodging with a View: Morro Bay lodging options fit any budget from boutique waterfront properties to family friendly brands. These winter lodging specials are ready for romance.
- Exciting Embarcadero: Filled with chic shops, restaurants, museums and an abundance of places to spot sea otters, strolling the Embarcadero hand-in-hand works up a great appetite before dinner.Check out the world’s biggest skateboard at the Morro Bay Skateboard Museum, or view aquariums of steelhead trout and eelgrass, and 3-D images of the estuary at the Estuary Nature Center.
- Romantic Dinner: Windows on the Water is a local favorite for romance. Its seasonal farm to table menus, aphrodisiac filled Oyster Tuesdays, scenic waterfront views and sunsets make a perfect setting for a perfect pair.
- Late Night Fun for Two: Morro Bay has great live music venues offering billiards, food, and spirits, and supports local talent as well as national touring acts that hit the central coast. Enjoy live music all over town including at the newly opened Siren Bar.
Day 2: Outdoor Adventure for Two (or more)!
- Bayside Breakfast: Start your day with a romantic dining experience on the patio at Blue Skye Bistro, overlooking the bay. The menu includes magnificent mimosas for those mesmerizing moments.
- Kayak and Lunch Adventure: Enjoy a fun-filled morning of paddling through the waters of Morro Bay and its 800-acre wetland, home to more than 250 species of land, sea, and shore birds. Central Coast Outdoors offers tours of the bay and out to the sand spit including a romantic lunch with a bottle of wine. Yes, and thank you!
- Amorous after Lunch Hike: Black Hill Nature Hike is a moderate trail that takes you to the summit of Black Hill from the Morro Bay campground located in Morro Bay State Park. This 3-mile round trip hike to the summit offers dreamy views of the entire bay, the sand spit and the rock.
- Delectable Dinner and Sunset: A warm-hearted waterfront dinner at the Galley Seafood Grill & Bar, featuring the freshest, premium seafood around using hand-selected seasonal ingredients from their own farm, is perfect for romantic gestures, like hugs and marriage proposals.Be sure to make reservations!
Day 3: Whales and Wildlife
- A Lovely Breakfast: Dorn’s Original Breakers Cafe above the Embarcadero has been a Morro Bay favorite since 1942. Offering breakfast, lunch and dinner with an outdoor patio offering panoramic views overlooking the Rock and the bay, their charming brunch is a perfect way to start the day.
- Winsome Whale Watching: The central coast is home to hundreds of humpback whales feeding on abundant sea life in the fall and winter months. Sub Sea Tours Humpback whales are known to put on quite a show including throwing tail, lunge feeding, tail lobbing and full breeching. How ardent!
- Dockside Dining: Tognazzini’ s Dockside Too on the harbor in Morro Bay offers a plethora of amazing fresh seafood, live music and a local wildlife show. From birds to otters and seals, this dockside restaurant is a treat for a casual lunch that doesn’t hurt the wallet.
- You Otter Beach-Cruise-It: Morro Bay makes it easy for cyclers to get around town with bike trails and a harbor front pathway winding past families of sea otters, out to the rock and down to the beach.A Bike Route Map highlights bicycle friendly trails to Morro Bay State Park, and many hotels offer bicycles and beachcombers for day use. Or, rent them at Farmer’s Kites and Surreys on the Embarcadero.
- Passionate Thai Dinner: The Thai Bounty features authentic Thai BBQ, seafood and cuisine. Locally owned and operated, they consistently use the freshest, most wholesome ingredients available. Their sake selections are perfect for passion.
Day 4: Parting is such Sweet Sorrow!
- Au revoir Breakfast: Grab a coffee and breakfast from La Parisienne Bakery – one of the best “finds” in Morro Bay. This popular bakery offers authentic French pastries, quiche and omelets in a casual atmosphere.
- Historic Goodbye: Visit the interactive Museum of Natural History, located in Morro Bay State Park, right next to the Cormorant and Heron Rookery – a year-round fervent ecological party with birds.
- Bon Voyage Lunch at the Marina: Bayside Café offers relaxing views of the Back Bay marina where kayaks and sailboats float by this dreamy restaurant. This is a local favorite offering great salads, albacore skewers, sandwiches, vegetarian items, specialty California chowder and local wines and beer.
Couples can also find their own secluded beach in Montano De Oro State Park, or visit Hearst Castle just 30 minutes north of Morro Bay. Come find your romance in Morro Bay now, and all year long.
For additional information on hotels offering winter midweek rates from $55 and weekend rates from under $100, check out our booking engine here. For information on all the exciting things to do and see in Morro Bay, visit www.morrobay.org.
About Morro Bay
A true gem, this seaside fishing village with bustling waterfront offers a picture perfect getaway for travelers who seek food, wine and outdoor adventures found in a gorgeous natural setting. Located along coastal Highway 1 in San Luis Obispo County just south of Big Sur, midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, Morro Bay offers year round activities in an unspoiled slice of California. Recently recognized in as her home in Finding Dory, Morro Bay was named as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists, and outdoor activities are a way of life. From ocean-side golf, kayaking, sailing, hiking, fishing, surfing, biking, and bird watching, to kite flying, shopping, dining, wine bars, local craft brews and miles of unspoiled beaches, there is something for everyone.
Sitting majestically between the beach and the harbor lays the iconic and historic landmark Morro Rock, welcoming travelers from miles away as they approach Morro Bay. Located just minutes from world-renowned Hearst Castle, historic missions, breathtaking Montana de Oro State Park, and surrounded by vineyards from Paso Robles to Edna Valley, Morro Bay is a destination designed to fit any style and budget for families, couples or groups. Morro Bay also offers a myriad of year-round events including food, wine and music festivals, art fairs and car shows unique to the town. For more travel information visit http://www.morrobay.org or follow Morro Bay on its Facebook, twitter or Pinterest pages.
Public Relations Manager
Discover Morro Bay