May is National Bike Month, and what better way to celebrate than with the AMGEN Tour of California in Morro Bay on May 15th?
“Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race created and presented by AEG that challenges the world’s top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding course that traverses hundreds of miles of California’s iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring.” – AMGEN TOC
Here are the best ways to enjoy the cycling race:
1. Come early – The festival opens at noon along Main and Harbor Street. There will be live music, food, exhibitors and other entertainment. And the best part? It’s free!
2. Ride Across the Stage 4 Finish Line before the Riders – Become a part of the action with the Morro Bay Community Bike Ride starting at 1:30 pm! All ages are welcome for this hour-long ride. Sign up now or the day of the ride.
3. Along the Route – Get a copy of the route and plan where you’ll catch the action. If you plan well, you can even catch the teams multiple times along the route! Pro Tip: look for a spot along the climbs where the cyclists are generally in smaller groups and they take longer to past.
4. Near Feed Zones – You’ll get an excellent view of the riders as they slow down to grab lunch and you might even be able to grab a “souvenir” as the team discards unwanted items.
5. With VIP Packages – Hospitality packages provide the ultimate fan experience. With this pass you’ll be guaranteed seats near the finish line, food and drink, behind the scene tours, and big screens to watch the race throughout the day. Over $700 value, free with a two night stay at a participating Morro Bay Hotel.
6. During the Finish – Watch the excitement as the cyclists make the climb to the Morro Bay finish line located at Napa and Harbor Street around 3:40 pm. This is also your best bet for photos and autographs as you’ll get a chance to see riders up close!
7. Remotely – Although the best way to feel the true excitement of the race is to attend in person, if you can’t make it down to the finish line be sure to tune in the broadcast. Duck into a local restaurant or bar and catch the show on TV or download the App.
Can’t make it to Morro Bay for bike month? Lucky for you every day is a great day for biking in Morro Bay – mountain bike in our State Parks, road bike along the scenic Highway 1, spend the day at Morro Bay Bike Park to hone your skills, or rent an electric bike and cruise along the beach boardwalk. Just imagine the ocean air whizzing by as you take in the water vistas and Morro Rock. Book your room today!