Road Cycling and Mountain Biking
Morro Bay makes it easy to bike around town, with miles of beach, trails, paths and designated bike lanes there’s every reason to take that leisurely two-wheel ride and leave your car keys in the room. Looking for more challenging routes? Highway 1 offers unparalleled views along a climbing road. There are also many day trips accessible from Morro Bay, making it a great place for your home base as you bike in and out of town. Don’t worry if you aren’t able to pack your bicycle you can rent one once you arrive.
Ten Trails within Ten Miles of Morro Bay:
1. Black Hill - This breathtaking ride in Morro Bay State Park has some moderately steep climbs, the highest being Black Hill summit.
2. Cerro Cabrillo and Tiki Rock - The summit of Cerro Cabrillo is the highest point in Morro Bay State Park, and this 2.5 mile round trip ride is quick but offers breathtaking ocean and estuary views.
3. Morro Rock to Cayucos Pier Beach Cruise - This beautiful 6.2 mile ride, one-way, is best done on a beach cruiser or on a mountain bike.
4. Lower Crespi Trail - There are a couple great challenging climbs and downhill sections off of this trail in Morro Bay State Park that include several wooden bridges and lots of wildlife sightings.
5. Quarry Short Loop - This 2.3 mile loop ride through the rolling hills of Morro Bay State Park is mostly a single-track trail in a very quiet area that is not highly traveled and is well maintained.
6. Morro Bay State Park to Dunes Cloister Trail - Begin your cycling adventure in downtown and ride south to Morro Bay State Park where the path winds along the Back Bay with stunning views and leads to the Back Bay Marina.
7. Morro Bay Harborwalk - Take a surrey ride with family and friends along the Embarcadero and out onto the Morro Bay Harborwalk to witness all the beauty you'd expect from a coastal California trail: sparkling surf, sandy beaches, great wildlife viewing, and Morro Rock!
8. Hazards Peak Trail - Just outside of Morro Bay, mountain bikers will love this trail located in Montana De Oro State Park.
9. Oats Peak Trail - In the spring the hills of this peak are covered with poppies, lupines, sticky monkey flowers, wild radish and mustard.
10. Montana De Oro Bluff Trail - This trail is fast and flat with the only obstacles being bridges and an occasional wild fox.